Sunday, October 21, 2007

Rugby

It turns out the Rugby World Cup Final was on Saturday. I didn't even realize rugby had a world cup until last week. Rugby also is super popular here. The finals were between South Africa and England, which has a ton of meaning because apparently rugby is more of an Afrikana sport here.

Anyhow, because it's such a huge deal, we made plans to watch it at one of our colleague's house. First we had a braai (a barbeque). I have to say, the setup at this particular house was awesome. He had a big open air porch with a grill built into the wall. How great is that? Then we watched the game. South Africa won. During the game I learned more of the rules (I learned the majority of the rules from the semi-final game). It's a pretty interesting sport to watch because it's rougher than football and the action doesn't really stop. I don't exactly understand how people don't get injured more than they do though. I figured there would be chaos in the streets after, but we're sort of in the suburbs so there was a lot of honking, but there weren't people spilling out into the streets. Still it was cool to experience something that is so important to the area.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home