Sunday, October 21, 2007

Penguins, Cape Point, and Wine

Saturday was a full day. We started off by going to visit the penguins on Boulder Beach. The beach is beautiful and used to be Lyn's favorite before the penguins took over. I forgot to bring my long lens sadly, but luckily the penguins are everywhere, including under some bushes near the walkway.

Next we headed off to Cape Point, which is just amazingly beautiful. It's kind of funny to think about how all those years ago in school we learned about explorers and heard about Cape Point, but I seriously never thought I would ever be here. It's pretty cool to think that I'm at the tip of Africa (though, yes, I think it's not technically the southern most part of the continent).

On the way back to Cape Town, we were driving along the coast when we spotted whales! They were kind of far out (again, no long lens!! Who goes to Africa without a long lens?), but you could see the water spray from their blowholes and their fins. There were at least 4 of them out there.

After that we drove around to Groot Constantia for some wine tasting and a look at some of the old Dutch architecture as well as the vineyard grounds. I bought some wine.

I really can't get over how pretty it is here, not just because of the number of beautiful areas, but also how different they are all and how close together they are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home