Sunday, October 21, 2007

Kayamandi

On Sunday we went to Kayamandi because our team leader knows some people there. They were not in, but we had a good time talking with other people there and playing with some of the neighborhood kids, including a super adorable little boy. The trip to Kayamandi was interesting because, for the most part, our exposure to the bigger issues in South Africa had only been academic--and not that we could fully appreciate the problems with just a short visit to a township, but it was good to see to understand better. Kayamandi was okay, obviously in worse condition than wealthier neighborhoods, but I saw other homes from the highway which looked way worse--they were probably the shabbiest housing I've ever seen, including anything I had seen in China. It's really quite terrible, the gap between the rich and the poor. I know that is true everywhere, but it seems worse because of the bifurcated nature of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home