Friday, January 28, 2005

Dumplings

Apparently there is someone who likes dumplings even more than I do... (Thanks Steve Lin, for forwarding the link.)

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/living/travel/10713746.htm

Hmm...dumplings. When I first got here I looked for yummy dumplings. A friend told me about some yummy boiled ones at a restaurant near the school called SiHaiLe. You can get 15 for 5RMB. But the ones I really like are the steamed ones with soup inside. In Boston, Taiwan Cafe has really good pork buns, so I figured in China, surely I could find the equivalent. It took me quite a while (halfway into my time here), but I finally found two great places near Qian Men. One of them sells shaomai and the other xiaolongbao. Then about a month ago, a friend took me to a Taiwanese restaurant (with locations in Beijing, Shanghai, Taipei, Hong Kong, and Singapore) which specializes in steamed dumplings. Their version has a much thinner skin and is smaller. They even have a dessert which looks the same but the stuffing is red bean paste. Talk about a perfect meal.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home