Saturday, December 08, 2007

Bar-ry Bar-ry Bar-ry...Manilow?

We went to AT&T Park for a skating show. That's right, someone had the crazy idea to put an ice rink on a baseball field right on the infield. We had seats right behind home plate (my best seats ever at a baseball stadium!) but because the show being taped for TV, they had a big camera right smack in our (and almost everyone else's) way. That was annoying. I'm not as much into skating as I was before so staying focused on the skating was hard enough without not being able to see half of it.

For this show, the live musical guest was Barry Manilow. When the show was about to begin, some people started chanting, "Bar-ry! Bar-ry! Bar-ry!" in a really deep voice. I thought it was a joke referencing that we were in the ballpark where Barry Bonds--and Barry Zito play. Well, apparently it wasn't a joke and there are a lot more ardent Barry Manilow fans than I knew. Throughout the show, people kept chanting for Barry to sing more. Too bad because he didn't actually get to sing much. Though at the end, he had to come back out for a retake (in skating shows taped for TV, any mistakes made by skaters are retaped so there are no mistakes in the TV broadcast). This was probably my favorite part of the show since Manilow seemed to think the retake was funny and was acting almost like a caricature of his performing self.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home