Sunday, April 22, 2007

Luobo...Boluo

My cousin and I went to the grocery store to buy some fruit. He asked what fruit I like to eat, and I guess I'm pretty neutral about fruit. I eat them but they're mostly all the same to me. We couldn't decide, so when I saw the pineapple, I thought, I like pineapple, let's get some of that. However, I couldn't quite remember how to say pineapple in Chinese, but then I remembered, it's how you say radish, only backwards! So I said out loud, "luobo...boluo" as I almost always do when I try to say pineapple. My cousin confirmed "boluo" was correct, but then this woman turned around and said angrily, "fengli!" My cousin and I laughed a little awkwardly, but since he's very polite, he said thank you before we walked away. I dunno, to me it's a little weird how forcefully she said it. I'm guessing it is because boluo is how you say pineapple on the mainland, and fengli is more common in Taiwan. They might actually be two different types of pineapple, but my cousin didn't know the difference.

1 Comments:

Blogger falanke said...

菠萝 boluo is the mainland way of saying things... In Taiwan, it's fengli. But the pineapple bun in the Taiwanese bakeries is called boluo-bao, not fengli bao. =)

Did you know that the word for "authentic", dao-di is flipped for mainland and Taiwan also? I think on the Mainland, it's 道地 and in Taiwan, it's 地道.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home