Pride and Prejudice
I went to watch Pride and Prejudice last night. They did a better job of it than I expected. It certainly isn't as good as the BBC version, but if it had 5 hrs it could come close, since it seemed like most of the flaws were because they didn't have time. (Though time can't be used as an excuse for making Colonel Fitzwilliam old and fat.)
Anyway, this review of the movie amused me:
"Is it as good as the superb BBC miniseries of 1995 starring Jennifer Ehle as Lizzy and Colin Firth as Darcy? How the hell would I know? Do you think I watched it? Get serious. Life's way too short for five hours in front of the tube watching ponces and twits flounce and scrape and talk tony Brit. However, many learned people say it is not as good, and that would therefore become my official position." --Stephen Hunter, Washington Post.
Anyway, this review of the movie amused me:
"Is it as good as the superb BBC miniseries of 1995 starring Jennifer Ehle as Lizzy and Colin Firth as Darcy? How the hell would I know? Do you think I watched it? Get serious. Life's way too short for five hours in front of the tube watching ponces and twits flounce and scrape and talk tony Brit. However, many learned people say it is not as good, and that would therefore become my official position." --Stephen Hunter, Washington Post.

3 Comments:
Haha.
they had to make fitzwilliam old and fat (btw, it amuses me to no end that you're so upset by this -- he's not described as attractive, slim, dashing, madly athletic, and young in the book, you know) to counter keira's non-old, non-fatness.
okay, fine. i went back to check the book, and you are half right. here is how the book describes him: "Colonel Fitzwilliam, who led the way, was about thirty, not handsome, but in person and address most truly the gentleman." so he can be ugly but he shouldn't be old.
Post a Comment
<< Home