Saturday, November 26, 2005

de Young Museum

I went to the de Young museum today. I liked the Arts of Oceania exhibit the best mostly for their statues and masks. It kind of reminded me of Picasso with all the exaggerated facial features. One little statue was of a man with his arms up in the air like some one just yelled, "stick 'em up!" at him. heehee.

One of the items in the photography section I had seen before. I was floored that it had actually made the exhibit. It was a series of pictures of items the photogapher had found each day of a month. A long long time ago, I can still remember how I dragged Alex to a photography event sponsored in part by the MIT Alumni Association. It was a series of talks by photographers about their photos followed by a time for snacks and mingling (we stood by awkwaredly eating as much as we could). Anyway, I thought the talks were both boring and pretentious. This particular artist talked on and on about how depressing finding a child's shoe was. Hers was at least a little less snotty than the toxic waste dump photographer and most of the others. The guy who took pictures of homes at night was kind of funny since he noted there was only a fine line between doing what he does and being a peeping tom. In any case, that event soured me enough that I haven't gone to another alumni event in the Bay Area.

2 Comments:

Blogger alex. said...

awesome.

i saw something like that at the moma, but i wasn't sure whether it was the same found-object person or someone else with this brilliant idea.

1:24 PM  
Blogger wchien said...

true...i didn't remember her name either...what are the chances?!

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home