Saturday, September 10, 2005

Tennis

I was watching the US Open on TV today. I like Agassi. I followed tennis about 15 years ago, but I haven't watched it lately because it's boring (all those Andy "Rocket Man" Roddick and Serena "Diva" Williams commercials really didn't do anything to compel me to watch again either). Watching Agassi today made me remember why I liked tennis before, so it's cool to see him in the final. His kids are cute too.

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Yeah, tennis doesn't translate well to TV. It's hard to get a sense of the speed of the game without actually being there, and then it's amazing to see how hard they hit and how fast they run. There also aren't any really interesting personalities or rivalries now either.

Agassi's alright. I didn't like how he beat up Michael Chang though.

1:04 AM  
Blogger wchien said...

haha, i only know about the old guys now...

i've seen the us open live once. summer 1997 when i was working for ibm in ny state, i met up with some other interns on labor day right before school started to see some matches on my way to boston. (it was kind of funny because they had to search my luggage.) we bought scalped tickets and got to see sampras. he did that overhead slam move that looks like he's making a slam dunk. i thought that move was obnoxious.

12:10 PM  
Blogger wchien said...

yeah back in the day, i liked chang way more than agassi. can you be chinese american and not like chang?

agassi seems more likeable now than before. he has his funny white cap that's functional and not fashionable, and he waves like a kid at the camera. did i mention his cute kids? (clock, clock, begone!)

12:20 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Yeah, Agassi has really toned it down. Remember his wardrobe back in the late 80's and early 90's? I remember a lot of kids on the tennis court wore them. They looked totally ridiculous. They also seemed to be the ones who couldn't play well either.

10:26 AM  
Blogger wchien said...

i remember he wouldn't play wimbledon because of the tennis whites rule. i also remember thinking his outfit didn't look all that bad to me then....yikes!

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home