Monday, July 04, 2005

Robots are Fun

I met a robot today. Roomba is a robotic vacuum cleaner made by iRobot. (iRobot was founded by MIT alums. We rule.) Roomba can autonomously vacuum your room using various sensors and some algorithm to ensure your whole floor is clean. (I'm still thinking about how it makes this guarantee since I didn't notice a pattern in its coverage of the floor.) When it's done, it beeps. If it gets stuck, it will beep too--of course immediately after learning this I tried to trap it. Apparently it also knows to go back to its home base to recharge when it's done. Playing with robots is fun. :)

Shout out to Auntie Alice and Uncle Bill for introducing me to their Roomba.

Shout out to Winston (and Barry Bonds) for his inspiration to use shout outs.

3 Comments:

Blogger w said...

Shoutouts are an effective way of getting people to comment :)

1:37 AM  
Blogger alex. said...

you've got some clever aluminium sulfates. that said, i've always wondered whether the roomba does well with corners and edges. does it?

11:46 AM  
Blogger wchien said...

har har har, you're a dork. that said, i didn't see it clean a corner, but i have my doubts. i think it did okay with edges.

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home