Friday, April 15, 2005

Bargaining

I went to buy tea for relatives. The store said they don't bargain so I paid the regular price. But then I asked for some information sheets about the tea and some silly posters. He gave me one and I asked for a few more and they he offered to give me the whole stack of 30. He said it was because I bought so much. But then I'm thinking, shoot, I'm an idiot, I should have thought of asking for gifts sooner. So I asked what else they could give me for free. They said they could give me a free cup. Immediately I look at the pretty tea cups they have but then the sales clerk points to this extremely ugly cup. If I were literate, I might have noticed the sign that said "Buy 200RMB of stuff and get this ugly cup." (I paraphrased.) At first glance it looks okay but then you see the random fuzzy picture of a man with tea cups. The only redeeming factor is that it comes with a cover. I've even had a hard time giving these cups away. Anyhow, now I'm on a roll so I asked for three cups because I bought over 600RMB of stuff. They objected but I argued and won. Then I asked if I could trade the ugly cups for tea instead, explaining I was leaving the country and these cups were heavy and breakable. They said no. I asked if I could trade my three cups for one pretty one. They said no. I asked if there were anything, anything in the store that I could trade the cups for but they said no. So my conclusion is that my brain still thinks of places as being split into places you can bargain and places you can't. If I find out that you can bargain at one of the places I thought you couldn't, then I'll go a bit overboard to recover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home