Visa and PSB
I made my first trip to the PSB (Public Security Bureau) today to extend my visa. Lonely Planet says Chengdu is a fairly painless place to extend your visa and they are right. First off, the PSB here is one of the emptiest places in China. I went in, looked confused, and the security guard led me directly to an empty seat in front of a sign that said "Visa." Then a man who spoke good English came over. The conversation went something like:
Me: Do you speak English?
PSB Man: Yes, what do you need?
Me: I need to extend my visa.
PSBM: Let me see your passport.
[I hand over my passport.]
PSBM: Why do you want an extension?
Me: To travel longer in China.
PSBM: Do you have the funds to continue your travel in China?
Me: Yes.
PSBM: Can you prove it?
Me: Uh, what? Um, how do you prove something like that?
Unhelpful Friends: You can show give them your bank account number. You can show them a bank statement.
PSBM: Okay, I will give you a 30 day extension.
And on the spot I got my new visa. No waiting. We're heading off to Chongqing tomorrow.
Me: Do you speak English?
PSB Man: Yes, what do you need?
Me: I need to extend my visa.
PSBM: Let me see your passport.
[I hand over my passport.]
PSBM: Why do you want an extension?
Me: To travel longer in China.
PSBM: Do you have the funds to continue your travel in China?
Me: Yes.
PSBM: Can you prove it?
Me: Uh, what? Um, how do you prove something like that?
Unhelpful Friends: You can show give them your bank account number. You can show them a bank statement.
PSBM: Okay, I will give you a 30 day extension.
And on the spot I got my new visa. No waiting. We're heading off to Chongqing tomorrow.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home