Sunday, July 08, 2007

Mattresses

I needed to get a new mattress and so I figured I'd go to Sleep Train, Mattress Discounters, and Mancini's Sleepworld, you know, typical mattress retailers, I'd bargain, and I'd spend about $500 for a new mattress. I got to Mancini's and immediately a sleazy salesman comes over and starts showing the "$3000" mattresses. For whatever reason, he then transfers me over to his associate who was supposed to give me pricing, but this guy is super nice and actually appears to know more about mattresses. I came close to buying a mattress, but then I just didn't think it was a good idea to buy a mattress after going to only one store so I held off. (What was up with that sales tactic though? I'm not really sure I would have been tipped off that the mattress industry is as slimy as the car industry if they hadn't tried something like that.) So after doing some research online, I found out all sorts of annoying things...like how the manufacturers and retailers collude so you can't comparison shop easily and how they are making mattresses less and less durable (by putting toppers on them which wear out faster than the springs usually and making it a "no-flip" mattress). Fed up with all of that, I ended up buying a mattress from McRoskey, a place Charity recommended. Unfortunately, they're a bit (a lot) on the expensive side. But the positive points are: 1. small local company, 2. good reputation, 3. cotton, not foam padding and no chemicals, 4. prices are posted online so I don't have to deal with overbearing salesmen who can't be trusted nor do I need to give any money to a manufacturer who works with companies to rip off its customers. I don't care if the joke's on me, I'm happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home