Darn You Home Depot
I admit I buy from chains all the time, but there are a few chains which have put me off for one reason or another. One of these was Home Depot. I was still holding a grudge against them for displacing a very nice, local to DC, hardware store called Hechinger. That boycott ended abruptly today because I decided it would be a good idea to add hanging space in my closet. All I needed to buy was a closet rod and some pole sockets. I went to Orchard Supply Hardware, but they told me they didn't have adjustable rods, only the wooden kind. I went home to measure my closet. Later, I happened to be near Home Depot (okay, I had looked online to see if adjustable rods were cheap) so I figured I'd drop by and check out their products and prices. They sell both wooden and adjustable rods. A Home Depot employee helpfully offered to cut the wooden rod to my specification if I liked. Still nursing my grudge, I drove myself all the way back to Orchard Supply Hardware to get my materials there. I picked out my stuff and found an employee to cut the 6' rod in half so I could have two 3' long pieces. Apparently, they don't cut wood! They cut glass and metal, but not wood. The employee suggested I buy a hand saw for $5 so I could cut it myself. I don't want a hand saw. I just want one piece of wood sawed in half. Anyway, that's why I ended up patronizing Home Depot again. It's really hard to support a smaller hardware store when it doesn't actually offer the same products and services as Home Depot.

3 Comments:
Wait, OSH is a "smaller hardware store?"
You should go to Lowes next time if you hate Home Depot so much.
It's definitely smaller than Home Depot. Okay, I guess I could go to an even smaller hardware store, but I don't know any.
Lowe's is far away, but I'll try it. Actually, Home Depot was a good experience. I got home and found out I measured my space wrong. I needed 37" rods instead of 36". I went back and they let me cut new ones and return the old ones. I only had to pay 33 cents for the extra inch! (And I got to cut it myself, which for some reason I enjoyed.)
Post a Comment
<< Home