Party Like It's 1999!
At work today, there was a food fair so employees could sample and vote on snacks for our kitchen. It was awesome and amazing--whoever thought of it is brilliant! A bunch of vendors came with tons of samples to try to woo us. It felt like the career fairs at MIT back in the late 90s, at the height of the dot com boom, except I didn't even need a resume to have people try to push freebies into my hands.
I went there to try some samples so I could vote for tasty and healthy snacks. Charity saw me and told me to get a bag because I would need it. She was right. I started off just eating/drinking the small portions the vendors had put out, but as soon as I stopped for more than the 2 seconds it took to pick up a sample, a salesperson would start talking about their product and pushing full bottles into my hands. At Scharffen Berger, I took only one square because I had had them before, but the two women there each grabbed two handfuls of squares and dropped them in my bag, saying one piece was not enough to properly evaluate the chocolate. It was madness! One booth was having a drawing for an iPod Shuffle! People were giving away t-shirts! There was a DJ! The aisles were packed with employees with full bags and boxes of drinks and snacks. It was crazy and lovely--such commotion, such a spectacle!
(As a side note, who knew there were so many different energy drinks on the market? And so many energy bars? Or that many types of slightly flavored water? Or strange infused sparkling teas? Ugh, some of them were pretty gross--spoiled little me ended up asking one of them to throw out a partially consumed sample for me because, politeness be damned, it was so bad I couldn't bear to finish the rest and the trash was behind the booth.)
I went there to try some samples so I could vote for tasty and healthy snacks. Charity saw me and told me to get a bag because I would need it. She was right. I started off just eating/drinking the small portions the vendors had put out, but as soon as I stopped for more than the 2 seconds it took to pick up a sample, a salesperson would start talking about their product and pushing full bottles into my hands. At Scharffen Berger, I took only one square because I had had them before, but the two women there each grabbed two handfuls of squares and dropped them in my bag, saying one piece was not enough to properly evaluate the chocolate. It was madness! One booth was having a drawing for an iPod Shuffle! People were giving away t-shirts! There was a DJ! The aisles were packed with employees with full bags and boxes of drinks and snacks. It was crazy and lovely--such commotion, such a spectacle!
(As a side note, who knew there were so many different energy drinks on the market? And so many energy bars? Or that many types of slightly flavored water? Or strange infused sparkling teas? Ugh, some of them were pretty gross--spoiled little me ended up asking one of them to throw out a partially consumed sample for me because, politeness be damned, it was so bad I couldn't bear to finish the rest and the trash was behind the booth.)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home