Thursday, September 21, 2006

Nerd Camp

Way back in middle school, I went to a camp called CTY (Center for Talented Youth), sponsored by Johns Hopkins University. They let you take a bunch of random and fun classes (well you only take one while you are there, but you get to choose from a lot). It was all the rage on the East Coast back in the late 80's. I went for two sessions, taking Paleobiology in the 7th grade and Computer Science (where I wrote my first interpreter!) in the 8th grade. Not surprisingly, people called it nerd camp. **

Anyhow, I hadn't thought about it in a while but then my coworker said his son was going away to a three week camp. I asked if he son was going to CTY and he was! After checking out the wikipedia entry, I found out that 1) it's expanded a lot, 2) the culture has evolved with the times in the last 15 years, and 3) they are making a movie, "Nerd Camp," based on and filmed at CTY!

** For the record, I think nerd camp is far less nerdy than Latin camp. Okay, so I haven't ever attended Latin camp, but the very idea! (btw for me, nerdy=cool)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home