Friday, June 02, 2006

Jeffrey Maier

On October 9, 1996 I had an evening economics exam. I was pretty confident about it so I grabbed dinner at Networks, a dining facility on campus with TVs, to watch the playoff game between the Orioles and the Yankees until it was time for the exam. I was happily eating when Jeffrey Maier reached out and pulled in a Jeter "home run." From each one of the zillion replays, it was obvious that Tarasco would have caught the ball had the 12 year old not interfered. I developed a throbbing headache and ended up doing poorly on my exam. Yes, I am going to blame Jeffrey Maier for my bad grade.

Anyhow, it turns out that in all this time (in which I have not thought of him except to shake my fist in bitterness), Maier has not remained a 12 year old. He's a college ball player who has decent numbers and a shot at being drafted. How weird would it be if he ended up playing for the Orioles?

3 Comments:

Blogger amysan said...

i'm sorry you are haunted by this memory, esp. since it occurred on my 18th birthday.

11:23 PM  
Blogger wchien said...

yes, that is a good reason to celebrate that day. :)

1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently Maier has moved on from that game 10 years ago.

I imagine that it would be difficult to have your life be defined by something you did at age 12. In the case of Jeffrey Maier, this would be particularly tough, as the event was not really the result of his talent and abilities, but more an example of "being in the right place at the right time."

On the bright side, Maier's interference helped his favorite team win (in contrast with Steve Bartman), so I suppose Maier is liked by Yankees fans. This probably means, however, that most non-Yankees fans are not fond of him.

12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home