Monday, April 04, 2005

798 Factory

I went to the 798 Factory area yesterday. The former site of a munitions factory, this is where all the artsy people hang out now. You're not allowed if you don't have funky glasses and a camera in hand. Actually, they don't all have funky glasses, but it seems most people walking around are holding cameras (mostly of the 1970s SLR variety). I first went there in October for a starving artists exhibition. I was hoping to buy cheap Chinese art, but didn't take into account the exhibition was advertised in That's Beijing, an English language magazine. That meant wine and yummy chocolate cakes were served and the entire expat community showed up. If those artists are starving, then they're starving on some pretty good quality food. I didn't buy anything there because I couldn't even tell where you were supposed to go ask about prices. After the party we were able to wander around to some of the other galleries in the area and I bought a sculpture of a little country boy. So the day was redeemed. This time we just went to walk around and see more of the collection of galleries in that area. We actually went to the original 798 factory too, where there is all this stuff on the walls about Chairman Mao, like "long live Chairman Mao." I didn't like any of the art I saw though so didn't buy anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home